Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning Veterans Affairs are listed below. Additional questions and answers can be found at the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Please visit to apply for your educational benefits.

No, our office acts simply as a liaison between the veteran and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Our office certifies with VA the enrollment of those receiving VA Educational Benefits.

As soon you are registered for classes and complete a Veterans Request for Certification form.

Yes, as a transient student. However, you must provide an authorization letter from your primary institution as well.

The VA will only pay for those courses required of your specific degree and major.

The VA gives universities the option of certifying either by term or the entire year. Our office has opted to certify by term.

Submit a copy of your DD-214 (Certificate of Discharge) or Joint Service Transcript (JST) to the office of Veteran Affairs and complete the application found at

VA educational benefits may be used during any academic term, including summer, with remaining entitlement. Simply notify our office.

No, VA has reduced rates for training less than full-time.

Requests for fee waivers are administered through the Cashier's Office; however, the "VA Hold Agreement" form must be completed with our office.

VA will repay for failed courses as long as the major requires a grade of "C" or better for degree completion. However, VA will not pay for failed courses due to non-attendance.

By calling 1-888-442-4551 or visiting

VA will only pay for degrees and majors previously approved by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. Contact the Veterans Coordinator for approved degrees and majors.

Payments are posted by the Cashier's Office at the end of the term.

Students can verify receipt of Post-9/11 payment for tuition by contacting the Cashier's Office.


Related Links

Contact Us