Scoop September/October 2021 Edition
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
The famous tagline from Spike Lee’s thought-provoking 1988 film “Do the Right Thing” still rings true more than 30 years later: “It’s the hottest day of the summer. You can do nothing, you can do something, or you can do the right thing.”...
Get ready to SOAR! Nominate Southwest students, faculty, staff and partners by Oct. 14!
Nominations are now open for Tennessee Board of Regents’ 2022 SOAR Awards! This is the fourth year the SOAR (Statewide Outstanding Achievement Recognition) awards take flight in recognizing excellent students, faculty and staff. TBR also names...
Southwest goes to all virtual classes and operations Sept. 7-11
Southwest Tennessee Community College has elected to go fully virtual with classes and operations the five days immediately following the Labor Day holiday to lessen the risk of coronavirus infection associated with holiday activities. This 5-day...
Bad actors have launched multiple attacks against Southwest students, faculty and staff in recent weeks with scam emails. These deceptive messages are disguised as official messages from a Southwest email address or a distribution list from an outside...
Goode-Freeman new Gill Center director
Lamecia Goode-Freeman joined Southwest in 2003 as a temporary employee in the Admissions and Records department. Not long after, she joined the staff full-time and has served in various roles ranging from administrative assistant to financial aid...
THEC student representative nominations due Sept. 20
Are you a Southwest student interested in sharing the College’s student perspective with the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR), Southwest’s governing body? You can represent the voice and vote of students’ point of view as a Tennessee Higher...
In This Issue...
- From the President
- Get ready to SOAR! Nominate Southwest students, faculty, staff and partners by Oct. 14!
- Southwest goes to all virtual classes and operations Sept. 7-11
- CYBER BYTES - Security Alert: Beware of scam spam!
- Goode-Freeman new Gill Center director
- Nominations for THEC Student Representative due Sept. 20
- Southwest takes measures to protect students and employees from Covid; reinstates mask mandate for fall semester
- TBR resumes monthly book club for faculty and staff
- 55 Saluqis inducted into the College’s 2021 Chapter of NSLS
- Hopeworks receives 2020 Chamber Quality Cup Award for outstanding quality improvement
- Thirteen Southwest Tennessee Community College Student-Athletes Named NJCAA All-Academic
- Health Department issues new recommendations on Covid-19 vaccinations and mask wearing
- Upward Bound engages students with creative adventures during the Coronavirus pandemic
- TBR offers QPR suicide prevention training for faculty and staff
- Welcome Aboard
- The Taste at Southwest dishes out with take out
- TECTA’s Melissa Joiner’s children’s book teaches us all about Alzheimer’s disease
- Alumnus Scott-Healy hails benefits of IT Apprenticeship Program
- 2021 Leadership Retreat challenges mindset to harness collective intelligence
- Policy Matters: Policies crafted to minimize cost of textbooks and much more
- Southwest welcomes Medical District High School to Union Avenue Campus
- Summer Institute tackles virtual teaching and learning