Scoop November/December 2020 Edition
FROM THE PRESIDENT
The year 2020 is undoubtedly one for the record books. We have experienced protests, a contentious and historic presidential election, AND a global pandemic that has changed life as we know it. One thing that has not changed, thankfully, is our...
Southwest schedules on-campus registrations; Appointments available beginning Dec. 14
Southwest Tennessee Community College will hold on-campus registrations in December and January to help Southwest students get ready for the winter and spring terms.
Southwest voted Best Technical College; Places second as Best Regional College
Each year the Commercial Appeal and Memphis Flyer hold contests where they ask their readers to vote for their favorites in the city. Readers pick their favorite in more than 100 categories ranging from food and drink, goods and services and much...
Welcome aboard, new team members
Southwest Tennessee Community College proudly welcomes our new employees to the Southwest family.
Welcome Aboard: Kimberly Weddington, Mental Health Counselor
Kimberly Weddington has been hired as Southwest’s new mental health counselor. Weddington has a master’s degree in Professional Counseling from Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona, and a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University...
STUDENT KUDOS: TBR names SGA President Shannon Crowder a 2021 SOAR Award finalist
The Tennessee Board of Regents has named Southwest Student Government Association President Shannon Crowder as a finalist in its 3rd annual SOAR Awards.
In This Issue...
- FROM THE PRESIDENT
- Southwest schedules on-campus registrations; Appointments available beginning Dec. 14
- Southwest voted Best Technical College; Places second as Best Regional College
- Welcome aboard, new team members
- Welcome Aboard: Kimberly Weddington, Mental Health Counselor
- STUDENT KUDOS: TBR names SGA President Shannon Crowder a 2021 SOAR Award finalist
- Allied Health students mask up and move forward during the pandemic
- SGA organizes voter registration drive
- Student Development gets creative to engage and connect with students
- New guide helps students navigate their career journey
- SALUQI CORNER: Southwest sports teams face COVID-19 restrictions during fall semester
- TBR honors late Dr. Charles Temple with inaugural commendation
- Southwest student success efforts featured in Education Trust report on segregation
- Southwest M.O.S.T. kicks off Entrepreneurship Institute with Pulitzer Prize-nominated author Clifton Taulbert
- Complete mandatory IT training by Friday, Dec. 11
- Free robotics training through U.S. Department of Labor grant
- Students line up for FAFSA drive-in event
- ShakeOut Day 2020 goes virtual
- Employees get moving with free cardio fitness classes
- Southwest’s librarians uncover the real facts in fake news webinar
- Students visit with Mandela guard for International Studies Week
- Emergency assistance available for students in need
- Southwest named national finalist for prestigious 2021 Bellwether award
- Southwest and Generation USA partner to offer free online IT trainings
- Student Success and Institutional Affairs councils announce innovation grants
- Southwest and TSBDC team up to offer small business advice to student-entrepreneurs
- STAFF KUDOS: Tennessee Association of Colleges and Employers honors Brenda Williams with Outstanding Member Award
- New technology toolkit provides valuable resource to employees
- FROM EQUITY AND COMPLIANCE: Complying with Limited English Proficiency guidelines vital
- Mandatory annual Title IX training due Dec. 31
- Southwest: In the News
- Pick up textbooks curbside for Winter Sessions