Scoop May/June 2020 Edition
FROM THE PRESIDENT
To the Class of 2020: Congratulations on your wonderful achievement! You have persevered through late night study sessions, early morning classes, pop quizzes, final exams and COVID-19. You have quite a story to tell! The hurdles you have faced...
Tears and cheers at first-ever Curbside Cap & Tassel Pick Up event
Mother Nature showed up in full force with a deluge of rain, but that did not stop Spring 2020 graduates from coming out to pick up their mortar boards and tassels at Southwest’s first Curbside Cap & Tassel Pick-Up event May 12.
Retention & Student Success welcomes IDEAS team members
Meet the new team members of the Title III: IDEAS (Inclusive Design for Equity in Academic Success) Grant project! We look forward to seeing their redesign of the student experience at Southwest and in bringing about an equitable and successful learning...
Welcome aboard, new team members
Southwest Tennessee Community College proudly welcomes the following employees to the Southwest family
Mental Health Corner: Tips to avoid burnout during summer
Southwest students, spring semester has finally come to an end. And what a semester it has been! You all had to be flexible and adjust your schedules to a new way of life due to the Coronavirus pandemic. That was not an easy feat, but you did it....
Career Services goes virtual to connect students, alumni and employers
Congratulations to the Career Services staff for their successful launch of Southwest’s inaugural Virtual Career and Internship Fair held April 1-12. Their hard work garnered national recognition by Achieving the Dream in ATD’s weekly Network...
In This Issue...
- FROM THE PRESIDENT
- President Tracy D. Hall serves on national ATD panel
- Welcome aboard, new team members
- Mental Health Corner: Tips to avoid burnout during summer semester
- FACULTY KUDOS: Julia Rhea selected 2020 Field Instructor of the Year
- FACULTY KUDOS: Dr. Robert J. Walker publishes textbook on effective teachers
- U.S. Census deadline extended to October 31 due to COVID-19
- COVID-19: Retrieving office mail from campus
- COVID-19 scams targeting college students
- Department of Education changes CARES Act student relief eligibility requirements
- Outstanding students honored at first virtual Honors Convocation
- TBR to use multiple measures for learning support placement
- Elections held for SGA and CAB student representatives
- Languages and literature department hosts inaugural student poetry contest
- Recruitment hosts live admissions sessions
- TSBDC assists small businesses seeking SBA disaster loans
- Career Services goes virtual to connect students, alumni and employers
- IAC Innovation Grant application extended to June 30
- Free online continuing education courses offered through June 30
- Tears and cheers at first-ever Curbside Cap & Tassel Pick Up event
- Forensics and criminal justice students compete in first SkillsUSA state competition
- Retention & Student Success welcomes IDEAS team members
- Virtual Spring Fling brings students together while apart
- Southwest’s TRIO graduates are “Upward Bound” for college
- ALUMNI NEWS: Former Lady Saluqi Ashley Shields new Arlington High girls basketball head coach
- Athletics department to pay tribute to health care heroes
- SALUQI CORNER: Saluqis conquer academic goals in spite of COVID-19
- Southwest: In the News