Southwests Tennessee Promise Opens Free Educational Opportunities for Local May 2015 High School Grads
Southwest Tennessee Community College has developed an aggressive grassroots promotional strategy to ensure that all of the Mid-South’s 2015 graduating seniors can fulfill the Tennessee Promise (TN Promise) at Southwest. Effective Fall 2015, the TN Promise will provide Tennessee May 2015 high school graduates the opportunity to attend Southwest for two years free of tuition and fees, regardless of socioeconomic status.
Southwest launched its awareness campaign during the Fall 2014 registration period at local high schools and will continue to inform students, parents and community organizations about the future benefits of TN Promise.
Both a scholarship and mentoring program, TN Promise will provide students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the Hope scholarship, or the Tennessee Student Assistance Award Program (TSAA). The Tennessee Department of Education expects that more than 25,000 students will apply, which represent 40% of graduating seniors.
The enrollment period starts early fall for high school seniors who will be required to work with an assigned mentor and attend mandatory meetings in their counties by January.
- Apply to the Promise program at www.tnpromise.gov before November 1
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 each year at www.fafsa.gov
- Attend all scheduled team meetings and a mandatory college orientation
- Maintain at least 12 hours per semester
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA)
- Completed at least eight (8) hours of community service each semester
Important Dates To Remember – in order for students to participate in the program, they must meet several requirements and deadlines:
- August 18 through November 1, 2014 – Apply to the Tennessee Promise program at www.tnpromise.gov
- By February 15, 2015 – Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.gov
- For other requirements and deadlines, visit www.tnpromise.gov